Historians of Guiding/Scouting invariably visit libraries, organizations, governmental depositories, and even the homes of private individuals to review collected archival material relating to Guiding/Scouting. To assist in your research, we have compiled several guides to archives and manuscripts which contain material relating to the history of Scouting/Guiding.
These Guides are arranged by subject and are revised upon receipt of new information. Because of the number of archival collections in existence, the Guides are being made available as PDF documents. (To download a free Adobe Acrobat Reader, click here.) If you know of an archive not listed in the appropriate Guide, which would be of interest, please contact us with the following information:
- Name of the archive
- Location of archive
- Description of material in the archive
- Physical location of the archive
- E-mail and/or web site information for the archive
If you download, or use a Guide in your research, please take a moment to let us know via e-mail. This lets us know if the site is being utilized for research. If there is no interest in the Guides, then there is no need for this web site to exist.
- A Guide to Archives and Manuscripts relating to the founders of Boy Scouting (Baden-Powell, Beard and Seton)
- A Finding Aid to the Daniel Carter Beard collection located in the Manuscripts Division of the Library of Congress, Washington, D.C. - Please note that this is a 2007 draft, but is the current finding aid available.
- A Guide to Archives and Manuscripts relating to the Boy Scouts of America
- A Guide to the Microfilm Collection of the National Council, Boy Scouts of America
- A Guide to Archives and Manuscripts relating to the Girl Scouts of the United States of America - For those researching the GSUSA, an application for research at the GSUSA’s NHPC is available here.
- A Guide to Archives and Manuscripts relating to UK Girl Guiding
- A Guide to Archives and Manuscripts relating to Eastern Europe & Russia
- A Guide to Archives and Manuscripts relating to Other Countries not Listed - Archives of material including Guiding/Scouting in the following countries: Brasil, Canada, France, Hungary, Poland, Russia, and South Africa.
- A Guide to Archives and Manuscript Collections related to Camp Fire USA