There have been many works authored by, and written on, the founders of the Boy Scouting movement: Robert Baden-Powell, Ernest Thompson Seton and Daniel Carter Beard. Below is a selected bibliography on these three men. A longer bibliography is available as a PDF document.
If you download, or use a Bibliography in your research, please take a moment to let us know via e-mail. This lets us know that the site is being utilized for research. If there is no interest in the Bibliographies, then there is no need for this web site to exist.
Robert Stephenson Smyth Baden-Powell (1857 – 1941)
- Brendon, Piers. Eminent Edwardians. Boston, NA: Houghton Mifflin Co., 1980.
- Brogan, Hugh. Mowgli's Sons: Kipling and Baden-Powell's Scouts. London: J. Cape, 1987.
- Hillcourt, William, and Lady Olave Baden-Powell. Baden-Powell: The Two Lives of a Hero. London, 1964.
- Jeal, Tim. Baden-Powell. London: Hutchinson, 1989.
- Reynolds, Ernest Edwin. Baden-Powell: A Biography of Lord Baden-Powell of Gilwell, O.M., G.C.M.G., G.C.V.O., K.C.B. London: Oxford University Press, 1942.
- Rosenthal, Michael. The Character Factory: Baden-Powell and the Origins of the Boy Scout Movement. New York: Random House, 1984.
- Wade, Eileen Kirkpatrick. The Piper of Pax: The Life Story of Sir Robert Baden Powell, Bt., G. C. V. O., K. C. B., of Pax Hill, Bentley, in the County of Hampshire. London: C. Arthur Pearson Ltd., 1924.
- West, Robert Charles. "The Educational Philosophy of Baden-Powell." D.Ed. diss., University of South Africa, 1987.
Daniel Carter Beard (1850 – 1941)
- Whitmore, Allan R. "Beard, Boys, and Buckskins: Daniel Carter Beard and the Preservation of the American Pioneer Tradition." Ph.D. diss., Northwestern University, 1970.
Ernest Thompson Seton (1860 – 1946)
- Anderson, H. Allen (Hugh Allen). The Chief: Ernest Thompson Seton and the Changing West. College Station, TX: Texas A&M University Press, 1986.
Anderson has compiled an extensive bibliography of works by and about Seton. Those interested in Seton should consult this excellent resource, as we have not attempted to duplicate Anderson’s efforts on this site.
- Morris, Brian. "Ernest Thompson Seton and the Origins of the Woodcraft Movement." Journal of Contemporary History 5, no. 2, (1970): 183-194.
- ———. Ernest Thompson Seton, Founder of the Woodcraft Movement, 1860-1946: Apostle of Indian Wisdom and Pioneer Ecologist. Lewiston, NY: Edwin Mellen Press, 2006.
- Wadland, John Henry. Ernest Thompson Seton: Man and Nature in the Progressive Era, 1880-1915. New York: Arno Press, 1978.